HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
For this recipe you need about: 15 – 25 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PORTIONS
- 1 savoy cabbage
- a handful of mushrooms
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel
- You put a large saucepan with water on the cooker and bring the water to the boil.
- Have a large bowl of cold water ready. If you have some, throw in some ice cubes.
- If you have one, get a filter spoon ready. A colander with a handle will also do.
- Now remove the outer leaves of the savoy cabbage. Sometimes they can be wilted and/or very dirty.
- Now cut off the stalk and put the fallen leaves aside.
- If it was a very big cabbage, it might be too much and you put the rest of the cabbage in a bowl with some water in the fridge. This will keep it crisp for many days.
- Now wash the leaves thoroughly, spin them out and then cut out the coarse stalk from the middle of the leaves in a V-shape. This is usually too hard to eat.
- Now dip some of the leaves into boiling water. They turn a dark bright green. After a very short time, take them out again with the blanching jack and tip them into the cold water. Repeat this until all the leaves are blanched. “Why bother?”, you might ask yourself. The cabbage will be more digestible if you blanch it.
- Now spin the wet savoy cabbage leaves briefly so that they don’t splash so much in the pan later.
- Cut the leaves into strips. I roll the leaves up briefly for this, it’s nice and quick.
- Cut the mushrooms into thin strips.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Cut the garlic cloves into thin slices, but you can also chop or press them.
- Steam the garlic together with the fennel in the olive oil. If you have a mortar, you can crush the fennel a little beforehand. It always smells so nice.
- When the garlic is translucent, add the mushrooms and savoy cabbage.
- Steam the vegetables briefly over a high heat until they are fragrant but not burnt. The savoy cabbage should still be green and have a bite.
This dish also works well as a hot breakfast at the weekend. Pair it with scrambled eggs or fried tofu and dressed beans for a perfect body reset friendly meal.
If you set aside a larger cabbage leaf and chop it very finely into the cooked vegetables, you can take advantage of cabbage’s powerful antioxidant sulforaphane. I wrote about the benefits of cabbage in the article “Cheers to broccoli sprouts“.
All links marked with * are “affiliate” links. If a purchase is made via such a link, I will receive a commission (example: book Hormone Diet 1,33€). There are no additional costs for you. But Amazon has to give a part of its profit to me. Where, when and how you buy a product is of course up to you, and yes, I also try to buy as much locally as possible.